Being on the south side of the Christmas and New Year holiday break we find ourselves eagerly planning adventures near and far. It may be in part to it being a new year, which always brings us a refreshed list of things to do and see. Also the additional minutes of sunlight every day amplifies our adventure radar. Regardless of the exact recipe of this flow, it is our favorite creative zone to play in.
For many travelers and adventurers these past (almost) 3 years have been very creative. A normally long distance traveler sought new adventures closer to home. Some also ventured into unknown territory, the variety of activities and adventures, from what they would normally select. What this means to us travel and adventure seekers is, no matter what, we will find a way to have fun! Bring on 2023 with the intent to adventure.
Where do I go? What do I do Mr. Magoo?
With so many options of travel and experiences to choose from, how does one decide? This is a personal decision… with a nudge of influence from seasoned professionals, wink wink. Here are a few things to think about in making the most of your vacation time and money.
- Determine how much time you have to take off of work or other time commitments. Is it all in a large chunk of time? or is your time divided out by long weekends and maximum 1 week long time frames.
- Travel budget. Do you anticipate having a large savings to put toward an extended long adventure or a shorter but more luxury trip? Perhaps your savings trickle in like an alpine creek that allows you to partake in many small adventures that keep you fairly close to ‘home’.
- Geographical location. Do you have time and curiosity to take you far away from home? What adventures await you close to home that will provide a unique experience?
- Professional or DIY Planning. Some travelers find adventure in planning getaways. Others find joy in partnering with professionals to take the load. Regardless and according to this infographic, planning travel creates happiness. We are fully in agreement with this!
Booking a trip—even just getting it on the calendar—might be the very thing we need to restore our emotional immune system after months of mounting uncertainty and stress.
– Michelle Gielan, Founder,US Travel
Institute for Applied Positive Research
May we make a suggestion…
No matter what your travel and adventure desires are, if you are having trouble making a decision get something on your calendar to ease the pressure of finding the perfect vacay. If it isn’t in your travel cards to travel to Europe or on a plane, look locally for a day trip, afternoon excursion or 4 day self guided bike trip to get your feel good chemicals surging. Vancouver Island is bursting with adventure inducing activities (Come on, this place is what adventure dreams are made of 👍🏻)
May we suggest some favorites of ours?
- Sunset Kayak on the Campbell River Estuary
- Gather a group of friends and escape to outdoor luxury with a paddle & pedicure
- Rent e bikes and cruise around Quadra Island seeing the hidden treasures a coastal island
- Visit a local brewery by bike
- 4 or 6 day Self guided bike tour of the Comox Valley and Campbell River areas.
And we can help you make this happen! Island Joy Rides is spreading joy one bike ride and kayak paddle at a time. See you soon.